Destinations / Coastal region
Monastery Podmaine | Budva, MontenegroSunday, February 13, 2011 · Region Coastal region · Comments
This monastery got its name by the nearby hill, but it is also often called Podmaine. It is located in the vicinity of Budva and it has an historical importance as a meeting point of the tribe Maini. During the rebellion of Boka navy it was severely damaged so from the entire complex only the church of Sveta Petka was renewed.
Monastery Podmaine - Built in the 15th Century
The complex was made of the Smaller church dedicated to Uspenje Presvete Bogorodice and was built in XV century by Crnojevici. The inscription, which can be found above the port of the doors of the small church of Uspenje Bogorodice (Falling into sleep of Holy Mother of God), mentions the year 1630 as a year of the renewal of the complex and the year of painting of the church. This small church was unusually built, dug into the ground and with its entire surface it was covered with frescoes. Work on a big church started but was never finished. This monastery for a while served also as a residence of Cetinje metropolitan. In this monastery Metropolitan Danilo I died and was buried here until 1856, when he was transferred to Cetinje with the efforts of Prince Danilo.
Monastery Podmaine in neglect since 1837
Since 1837 the monastery has been neglected. It was first held as a military fortification of the Austrians. Later it was bought by the pope Filip Tanovic, so for a long time (until 1953) it remained in private ownership of the family Tanovic. After that it was confiscated and until the devastating earthquake in 1979 priest Gorazd Dekleva from Slovenia stayed in it. What is significant to point out for all visitors of this monastery is that some parts of “Gorski Vijenac” (Mountain Wreath), the biggest literary piece in our language have been written in it. The church and the sleeping quarters, which the state gave back to the church, have been in renewal since 1995, and the patron of the renewal is Sava Komatovic.